When I first delved into the world of makeup during high school, mastering eyeliner seemed like an impossible task. Little did I know, I had hooded eyes until my college days. To overcome this challenge, I turned to YouTube tutorials and dedicated hours to practice. Eventually, I discovered a selection of eyeliners that worked like magic for my hooded eyes.
Bottom LineUp Front
- 1 Bottom LineUp Front
- 2 Which Hooded Eye Type Are You?
- 3 Application Tips
- 4 How I Chose My Eye Liner
- 5 Top Eyeliner Picks for Hooded Eyes
- 6 1. e.l.f Liquid Precision Eyeliner
- 7 Pros:
- 8 Cons:
- 9 2. Tarte Double Take Eyeliner
- 10 Pros:
- 11 Cons:
- 12 3. Kulfi Underlined Eyeliner
- 13 Pros:
- 14 Cons:
- 15 4. Stila All Day Waterproof Eyeliner
- 16 Pros:
- 17 Cons:
- 18 5. Kaja Wink Stamp and Liner
- 19 Pros:
- 20 Cons:
- 21 6. Lancôme Artliner Precision Felt Tip
- 22 Pros:
- 23 Cons:
- 24 7. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
- 25 Pros:
- 26 Cons:
- 27 8. M.A.C Cosmetics Brush Stroke 24-Hour liner
- 28 Pros:
- 29 Cons:
- 30 9. Sephora Collection Eyeliner Pencil To Go
- 31 Pros:
- 32 Cons:
- 33 10. NYX Professional Epic Ink Waterproof Eyeliner
- 34 Pros:
- 35 Cons:
Among the plethora of quality eyeliners available, my personal favorite is the Kaja Wink Stamp and Liner. This fantastic product features an easy-to-use pen and includes a stamp for creating captivating winged eyeliner looks. The Kaja Wink Stamp and Liner is exceptionally beginner-friendly and compact, making it a convenient addition to any handbag.
Which Hooded Eye Type Are You?
Before we delve into the best eyeliners and application techniques, it’s essential to understand the different types of hooded eyes. Identifying your eye type will enable you to accentuate your unique features effectively. Here are the various types of hooded eyes:
- Upturned: The eyelids tilt upwards, often referred to as “cat eyes.”
- Downturned: The outer corners of the eyes point downward.
- Hooded: There is a skin flap that covers the area underneath the eyebrows.
- Round: The eyes have a more circular shape, sometimes known as “deep-set” if hooded.
- Almond: The eyes spread wider on each end (width), and the crease is covered by a flap of skin.
- Mono Lid: There is a fold on the inner corner of the eyes, with the lid visible towards the outer corner.
- Steady Hand: Achieving a precise line requires a steady hand. Take a moment to relax and take deep breaths before applying eyeliner. If you make a mistake, keep makeup remover wipes on hand to start over.
- Reinforce the Liner: Throughout the day, check and fill in your eyeliner to ensure it maintains its intensity and pigmentation.
- Look Straight Ahead: When applying eyeliner, avoid tilting your head back; instead, keep your gaze straight ahead to achieve the desired look.
- Start with a Pencil: For beginners, using a pencil liner is recommended before transitioning to a pen or liquid liner. This allows for gradual practice and greater control.
- Incomplete Line: Creating an eyeliner look for hooded eyes can be simple by stopping the line just beyond the middle of the eyelid and continuing it to the outer corner. This technique also makes the eyes appear wider.
- Keep the Bottom Line Simple: Opt for tightlining or add a shimmery eyeshadow directly beneath the bottom lashes for a subtle yet stunning effect.
- Experiment with Colors: Don’t limit yourself to black or brown eyeliners. Try out blue, pink, purple, or even white eyeliners from various brands.
- Enhance with Quality Eyelashes: Ardell brand lashes are perfect for hooded eyes. For instance, the Ardell 421 Naked lashes offer a dramatic effect without feeling heavy during wear.
- Complement with Neutral Eyeshadow: Utilize eyeshadow palettes like Urban Decay’s Naked 3, featuring neutral shades suitable for both daytime and evening looks.
How I Chose My Eye Liner
When selecting an eyeliner for hooded eyes, consider the following factors:
- Size: Opt for a liner that comfortably fits in your hand, offering better control for precise application.
- Color: While black and brown are popular choices, explore metallic or neon colors to add a touch of excitement to your makeup routine.
- Availability: Ensure the eyeliner is readily available at stores like Target, Ulta, and Sephora for easy purchase and restocking.
Top Eyeliner Picks for Hooded Eyes
Eyeliner can be a game-changer for those with hooded eyes, but finding the perfect one can be a challenge. To make your search easier, we’ve curated a list of top eyeliner picks that work wonders for hooded eyes. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, these eyeliners will help you achieve a flawless and captivating look.
1. e.l.f Liquid Precision Eyeliner
If you’re new to lining your hooded eyes, look no further than the e.l.f Liquid Precision Eyeliner. This gem stands out for its ease of use and precise tip, enabling you to create a clean and professional-looking line effortlessly. The best part? It comes at a budget-friendly price point, making it accessible for everyone. You can grab this fantastic eyeliner at Target, Ulta, or directly from the e.l.f website.
- Glides on smoothly with its flexible applicator, allowing for thin or thicker lines.
- Suitable for use on top of most eyeshadows, including glitter.
- Offers great value for its affordable price.
- Requires a bit of extra care during application to avoid messiness.
- Not as long-lasting as some other options.
- Takes a moment to dry completely, so be patient before applying additional layers.
2. Tarte Double Take Eyeliner
Sephora’s best-selling eyeliner for hooded eyes, the Tarte Double Take Eyeliner, is a double-ended wonder. On one end, you’ll find a liquid liner, while the other end features a gel liner. This unique design allows you to experiment with both formulas to determine which one suits your preferences best. It’s a fantastic option for practice and exploration before investing in a full-size version of your preferred formula.
- Sleek and slim design, perfect for carrying in your handbag.
- Combines two products in one for versatile experimentation.
- Highly pigmented, creating a noticeable line even from a distance.
- Offers waterproof capabilities, ensuring a long-lasting look.
- Product may deplete relatively quickly due to its dual-ended design.
- Can dry out if not properly covered after use.
- Limited color variety compared to other options.
3. Kulfi Underlined Eyeliner
The Kulfi Underlined Eyeliner is enriched with Aloe Vera, providing your skin with healing nutrients and leaving it feeling soft. It also contains Vitamin D, promoting hair growth for fuller lashes. This vegan and waterproof liner come in a striking purple shade called “Berry.”
- Non-sliding and non-bleeding application
- Vegan and waterproof
- Infused with antioxidants
- Requires more precision than a liquid liner
- Has a thicker texture, not suitable for sensitive skin.
4. Stila All Day Waterproof Eyeliner
Ideal for hooded eyes, the Stila All Day Waterproof Eyeliner dries quickly, making it perfect for rushed mornings. It has a satin finish, adding glamour to your evening looks. This cruelty-free liner works well with shimmery or textured eyeshadow shades.
- Long-lasting and quick-drying
- Cruelty-free and transfer-proof
- May melt quicker than others when wet
- Limited color selection for vibrant looks
- May dry out quickly.
5. Kaja Wink Stamp and Liner
The Kaja Wink Stamp and Liner are perfect for beginners looking to achieve a winged look effortlessly. It creates a wing stamp, and all you need to do is draw the initial line, making it user-friendly. This gluten-free and vegan product combines convenience and style.
- Easy winged liner creation
- Two products in one
- Gluten-free and vegan
- Not as readily available in stores
- Requires two products instead of one
- May need layering for a bold line.
6. Lancôme Artliner Precision Felt Tip
For those conscious about ingredients, Lancôme Artliner is free from sulfates, mineral oil, and parabens. It’s smudge-proof and designed for extended wear, making it perfect for long days.
- Unique metallic color options
- Satin finish and long-lasting
- Pigmented and trustworthy brand
- Harder to remove
- Dries fast, requiring quick application.
7. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner
Bobbi Brown offers a creamy formula that complements smokey eyes. With cool color options like “deep-black-brown,” it’s suitable for those wanting a softer liner look. Perfect for experimenting with gel liners, use it with a gel or cream liner brush.
- Matte finish and waterproof
- Smooth application, lasting 8 hours
- Not as neat as an eyeliner pen or pencil
- Requires an extra tool (brush)
- Not recommended for sensitive skin.
8. M.A.C Cosmetics Brush Stroke 24-Hour liner
M.A.C is a trusted brand, and its Brush Stroke 24-Hour Liner pen has a thin tip, allowing for precise lines. The width of the product provides a comfortable grip for effortless application.
- Long-lasting, lasting 24 hours
- Suitable for humid weather and sweatproof
- May require layering
- Formula not as smooth to glide
- Slight fading may occur.
9. Sephora Collection Eyeliner Pencil To Go
Perfect for beginners, the Sephora Collection Eyeliner Pencil To Go is affordable and easy to use. Its compact design makes it ideal for on-the-go application.
- Compact design and color variety
- The pencil can be sharpened
- Widely available locally
- Contains a small amount of product
- May smudge on oily skin
- Fall-out may occur.
10. NYX Professional Epic Ink Waterproof Eyeliner
The NYX Professional Epic Ink Waterproof Eyeliner is ideal for sensitive eyes, as it stays in place even when your eyes water during application.
- Easy applicator tip and smooth finish
- Long-lasting and easy to grip
- Not suitable for travel during high temperatures
- Not recommended for working out or swimming with it
- Not ideal for oily skin.
In conclusion, the right eyeliner can make a significant difference in your makeup routine. Consider your preferences and needs to find the perfect match for stunning looks that last all day.