Makeup

How to Find the Best Concealer for Eyebrows: Highlighting and Defining Your Brows

During my time at Sephora, I witnessed a significant trend towards bold and voluminous eyebrows. The Anastasia Brow Pomade became a bestseller, and I found myself giving eyebrow tutorials daily. Although natural-looking brows have gained popularity this year, achieving a clean look often involves plucking and filling in the brows. For those seeking to add a natural highlight to their brows, the right concealer can do wonders.

Eyebrow Concealer vs. Normal Concealer

While regular concealers are primarily used to cover imperfections like dark circles and blemishes, concealer can serve multiple purposes. At Sephora, I learned an effective hack of using concealer to highlight my brows. Concealer can shape and lift the brows, elevating their overall appearance. Some individuals also use concealer to mask stray hairs, though personally, I prefer to pluck my brows before filling them in. When it comes to choosing an eyebrow concealer, opt for a lighter shade if you desire a highlighting effect. As for me, with my pale complexion, I use a concealer that matches my skin tone.

How to Find the Best Concealer for Eyebrows

If you’re considering investing in a separate concealer for your brows, take certain factors into account. Here are some key points to consider:

Consider Your Eyebrow Product

With a wide range of eyebrow products available today, such as gels, pencils, pomades, and shadows, selecting a concealer that complements your chosen brow product is essential. For a natural look like mine, I use Anastasia Brow Wiz and my regular concealer to highlight and clean up my brows. However, for those desiring extravagant brows, I recommend using a gel or pomade, paired with a lighter concealer that’s one or two shades lighter than your skin tone for highlighting and cleaning up.

Choose the Right Shade:

Apart from opting for a lighter concealer for highlighting, finding the perfect color also involves considering your undertones. You can determine your undertones through various methods, such as observing the color of your veins (green for warm, blue for cool, and a combination for neutral) or how gold or silver jewelry looks on your skin.

Prioritize Long-Lasting Formulas:

To avoid your hard work on eyebrows going to waste, ensure the concealer you choose is long-lasting. Checking reviews can help confirm a product’s claims. Additionally, being aware of your skin type is crucial; certain products may be formulated specifically for dry or oily skin.

How to Use Eyebrow Concealer

Now that you’ve found your ideal eyebrow concealer, here’s a step-by-step guide to using it effectively:

Step 1: Shape Your Brows:

Always start by shaping your brows, using your preferred product and technique. Whether you’re using a pencil, pomade, or gel, ensure you define the shape you desire, starting at the bottom of your brows for extravagant looks. Understanding where your arch should be, as well as where your brows should start and end, will help achieve a polished look.

Step 2: Fill Your Brows:

After shaping, fill in your brows with your chosen product. Depending on the product, adopt the appropriate technique, such as using tiny strokes for pencils or brushing upward for gels. Feather the inner corner of your brows for a natural appearance or fill in the length with upward strokes for more defined brows.

Step 3: Apply Eyeshadow:

If you’re incorporating eyeshadow into your look, complete the rest of your eye makeup first to avoid shadow application interfering with your brows. This step ensures cleaner-looking brows.

Step 4: Apply Concealer:

Now it’s time to apply the concealer to your brows. For a natural look, apply concealer under the brows and in the inner corner. For extravagant brows, apply concealer over the brows as well, ensuring not to overdo it. Concealer serves to disguise stray hairs and veins while providing a cleaner and more defined look. Apply the concealer either directly to the skin using the applicator or a brush, then blend it in for a seamless finish.

Additional Tips for Perfecting Your Eyebrow Look

To enhance your eyebrow game even further, here are some additional tips to consider:

Use a Multi-Tasking Product

Consider using multi-tasking makeup products that can serve multiple purposes. Some highlighters can double as brow highlights, while tinted or sparkling eyeshadow primers can also be used to define your brows.

What If You Run Out of Concealer?

In a pinch, you can use foundation, CC cream, or BB cream to highlight your brows. Even a highlighter can work well in a hurry, so keep an affordable option handy for such situations.

Color Correcting Concealer

For individuals with redness around the eye and brow area, color-correcting concealers can be beneficial. Green concealer, for instance, counteracts red tones in the skin, while orange concealer is useful for concealing purple tones.

My Favorite Eyebrow Concealers

If you’re ready to discover your new favorite eyebrow concealer, I have some product recommendations for you:

Maybelline Super Stay Longwear Liquid Concealer

One concealer that truly caught my attention at Maybelline is the Super Stay Longwear Liquid Concealer. What sets it apart is the thin and flat wand, making application under and around the brows a breeze. The full-coverage and matte formula effortlessly conceals stray hairs, pores, redness, and imperfections near the eyes, without any creasing. Priced at around $11, this concealer is not only affordable but also widely available. For a highlighting effect and to counteract oxidation, I recommend going for a shade lighter than your natural skin tone.

Tarte Shape Tape Concealer

Tarte’s Shape Tape Concealer earned its fame for its impressive ability to cover just about anything, including tiny hairs around the brows and large pores. This concealer’s matte finish makes it ideal for those with oily skin. What makes it even better is the inclusion of skin-loving ingredients like mango butter, shea butter, and licorice root, which nourish and brighten the skin. With a wide range of shades available, you can find a perfect match for your skin tone or opt for a shade lighter to highlight. The only drawback is the brush applicator, which may not be ideal for precise application under the brows.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Highlighting Duo Brow Pencil

Anastasia Beverly Hills has been my go-to brand for brows, and the Highlighting Duo Brow Pencil remains a favorite of mine. This dual-sided pencil features a highlighter and a matte end, offering versatility for concealing and highlighting around the brows and even contouring. The multi-use aspect makes it an attractive option for various makeup looks. However, for those seeking sheer coverage for minor imperfections, the matte end may not provide enough coverage. Additionally, the limited shade range might make it challenging to find an exact match.

MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Conceal and Correct Palette

If you’re unsure about the right shade, the MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix Conceal and Correct Palette is your solution. With six shades, including four concealers and two corrector shades, this palette caters to various purposes. Choose a shade matching your skin color for concealing, a lighter shade for brows and highlighting, and a darker shade for contouring. The concealers offer medium-to-full buildable coverage, providing a natural look while benefiting from antioxidant-rich ingredients suitable for all skin types. Some users reported creasing, and the product may not be the longest-lasting.

L.A. Girl HD Pro Conceal

L.A. Girl’s HD Pro Conceal stands out for its affordability and impressive medium-to-full coverage, effectively concealing imperfections. Its creamy formula works best for those with dry or mature skin. The wide array of shades, including color-correcting options, caters to diverse needs. However, it may appear patchy on some skin types and is not ideal for oily skin.

NYX Bare With Me Concealer Serum

For those who prefer using a brush, the NYX Bare With Me Concealer Serum is a great choice. The liquid concealer, applied with a brush, offers medium coverage and a hydrating formula. While suitable for brows and some areas of the face, it may not provide sufficient coverage for those requiring more concealing. Dry skin users may benefit from its moisturizing properties, while those with oily skin may find it less suitable.

L’Oreal Color Correcting Crayon

For color-correcting needs, the L’Oreal Color Correcting Crayon is a highly recommended product. The creamy texture allows easy application and blending, offering decent coverage with lasting power. Even if color correction isn’t necessary, some of these crayons can accentuate the brows. However, some shades may not work for everyone, so finding the right one requires some trial and error.

Revlon Concealer Stick

When it comes to eyebrow concealer, the Revlon Concealer Stick offers a straightforward solution for defining and highlighting the brows. Its medium-to-full coverage formula is perfect for the brows and contouring. Although limited in shade options, it provides good value for money. For precise application, I suggest dabbing a brush on the stick and brushing the pigment on the brows.

Clinique Even Better All-Over Concealer + Eraser

Clinique’s Even Better All-Over Concealer + Eraser stands out for its lightweight yet creamy formula and 12-hour wear. Offering full coverage, this concealer caters to various skin types and is available in numerous shades. Some users, however, noted dryness and cakey appearance. While formulated with skin-loving ingredients, results may vary depending on individual skin needs.

Incorporating any of these top concealer choices into your eyebrow routine will undoubtedly elevate your brow game, providing flawless and captivating brows that leave a lasting impression. Choose according to your skin type and preferences, and embrace the transformation these concealers bring to your beauty arsenal.

Related Jobs

Back to top button