Makeup

NYX Butter Gloss Praline Review & Guide

NYX’s Butter Gloss is a widely acclaimed product known for adding shine and subtle color to your lips without the stickiness, making it suitable for a broad audience. In this NYX Butter Gloss Praline review and guide, I share my thoughts as a newcomer to this product, having heard mixed reviews about NYX in the past. I opted for the versatile Praline shade, which I believe suits almost everyone.

About the NYX Butter Gloss

The NYX Butter Gloss has achieved cult status within NYX’s product range. It promises to leave your lips feeling exceptionally smooth without the bothersome stickiness often associated with lip gloss. Available in an array of colors, it caters to diverse preferences. This gloss provides a shiny finish and can be worn independently or layered over lipstick.

The gloss, in general, tends to be quite sheer. While browsing pictures and tutorials, I had envisioned something more pigmented, but it could be due to the specific shade I selected. The formula is highly conditioning, ensuring soft lips throughout the day. It’s noteworthy that NYX is a cruelty-free brand, although its vegan status is unclear.

The shade I chose, Praline, is a lovely brown-based neutral. It falls within the medium range, offering a good balance between depth and pigmentation. I find this color to be exceptionally versatile and flattering on a wide range of skin tones.

Pros

• Non-sticky texture
  • Extensive color selection
  • Appealing shade (Praline)
  • Affordable price point
  • Imparts shine

Cons

• Requires frequent reapplication
  • Color payoff isn’t as intense as expected
  • Moisturizing properties are relatively modest

Applying the Gloss

The Butter Gloss comes with an applicator, making application straightforward. While exfoliating your lips beforehand is an option, it’s not a necessity. The gloss offers some degree of moisture, although it may not be the most hydrating option available. As for the scent, it’s described as vanilla, but personally, I detect notes of artificial vanilla.

It’s worth noting that pigmentation can vary between shades. Praline, as previously mentioned, is a neutral and somewhat sheer hue. On the other hand, shades like Strawberry Cheesecake may offer more noticeable color. Depending on the shade, you might consider using a lip liner for added definition or wearing it over lipstick. Personally, I prefer wearing lip gloss on its own.

Results

The glossy finish remained intact for approximately an hour. The color, however, faded more quickly, though not drastically. My gloss-wearing experience involved sipping coffee, which likely contributed to its shorter longevity. The hydrating properties also had a finite lifespan, with my lips feeling dry a few hours after application.

Given its sheerness and relatively short wear time, I recommend using this gloss for simpler makeup looks or as an on-the-go option to add color and shine to your lips, even on makeup-free days. If you do opt for it during a night out, consider balancing the neutral gloss with a striking eye look. Additionally, you can layer it over lipstick for a bolder lip statement.

Price

One of the key selling points of the Butter Gloss is its affordability. In Canada, I paid $9 for it, while it’s priced at $5 USD. Considering the pleasant feel on the lips and lack of stickiness, it offers great value for the price. However, due to its sheer color payoff, it’s essential to set realistic expectations when purchasing a $5 lip gloss.

Who This Product Is and Isn’t For

The NYX Butter Gloss is a decent product, but its suitability depends on your specific preferences. Let’s break down who this product is for and who it might not be the best fit for.

When You Should Buy the NYX Butter Gloss

I recommend the NYX Butter Gloss to individuals seeking a simple, everyday lip gloss. If you desire a light shine without the stickiness often associated with lip gloss, this product will meet your needs. It’s essential to note that this gloss doesn’t offer extravagant plumping effects or intense pigmentation. The color is relatively sheer.

For those who appreciate straightforward gloss without heavy pigmentation, the Butter Gloss is a solid choice. The Praline shade, in particular, is versatile and likely to flatter a wide range of skin tones.

When You Should Choose an Alternative

If your primary goal is achieving soft, well-moisturized lips, the NYX Butter Gloss may not be the best option. Some users, myself included, experienced lip dryness a few hours after application. To combat this, you might need to apply additional lip balm, which isn’t ideal.

If you seek a gloss with more pronounced color payoff, consider selecting a different shade within the NYX Butter Gloss range. Some shades, such as Strawberry Cheesecake, offer more vibrant color. Alternatively, explore other brands, like Clinique, that provide glosses with greater pigmentation.

Where to Buy the NYX Butter Gloss

The NYX Butter Gloss is widely accessible. You can purchase it on the NYX website or at various retail locations, including Walgreens, CVS, Charlotte Russe, Walmart, and Target.

Alternatives

While the NYX Butter Gloss serves its purpose as a simple lip shine, there are superior lip gloss options available. Here are a few alternatives worth considering

MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Gloss

If you’re looking for a non-sticky gloss with a straightforward lip look, MAC’s Cremesheen Gloss is a solid choice. It offers a range of neutral shades, making it suitable for everyday wear.

Wet n’ Wild Coffee Cat Lip Gloss

For an affordable option similar in price to the NYX Butter Gloss, try Wet n’ Wild’s Coffee Cat Lip Gloss. These coffee-themed glosses are neutral and boast a coffee scent, which some may prefer over the vanilla aroma. Note that they can be somewhat sticky.

Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Soother SPF 20

MoistureShine

If lip conditioning is a priority, Neutrogena’s MoistureShine Lip Soother may be more suitable. This slightly tinted gloss is available in various shades and provides daily moisture for your lips. It also offers a refreshing cooling effect.

NARS Afterglow Lip Shine

While pricier, NARS lip glosses are known for their non-sticky, silky feel and impressive hydration. These glosses provide a subtle shine and are available in various attractive shades.

Milani Supercharged Lip Balm

Lip Blam

For a colorless, hydrating option with long-lasting shine, consider Milani’s Supercharged Lip Balm. It’s not sticky and offers substantial hydration, making it a go-to choice for many.

Clinique Pop Splash Lip Gloss + Hydration

If you desire the benefits of the NYX Butter Gloss with more vibrant color, Clinique’s Pop Splash Lip Gloss + Hydration might be ideal. It offers a broad shade range and intense pigmentation, along with lip-nourishing properties.

L’Oreal Glowing Lip Gloss

L’Oreal’s Glowing Lip Gloss, while lacking the extensive color selection of NYX, offers unique and appealing shades. It provides a soft, non-sticky feel and rich consistency for those seeking a distinctive gloss.

Ultimately, the best lip gloss for you will depend on your specific preferences and priorities, whether it’s subtle shine, intense color, or maximum hydration.

Related Jobs

Back to top button