NYX Professional Makeup has taken the beauty world by storm with its frequent makeup releases and a wide array of products that cater to various needs. The brand’s primer line, in particular, offers a diverse range of options tailored to different skin types. As a devoted NYX enthusiast, I couldn’t wait to create this comprehensive NYX Primer Line Guide to help you navigate through the options. While I have a personal favorite in the Marshmallow Smoothing Primer, your ideal choice will depend on your specific requirements. The NYX Primer Spray also holds promise across various skin types. I must also give a special shout-out to the Total Control Drop Primer – a product that deserves a perfect score for its formulation and impressive matte finish.
Quick Overview of NYX Primers (and Why I’m Obsessed)
Prepare to be amazed by the extensive collection NYX offers. Here’s a quick rundown of their primers to assist you in making the perfect selection:
- 1st Base Blurring Primer – Minimizes pores, cute packaging, but not the best texture for oily skin.
- Primer Spray – Budget-friendly option, universally effective but lacks innovative packaging.
- The Marshmallow Smoothing Primer – A viral sensation in the beauty world. A top pick for various skin types, except dry skin.
- Bright Maker Primer – Ideal for oily skin, offers long-lasting makeup (up to 17 hours!).
- High Glass Face Primer – Unremarkable, avoid if you have oily skin.
- Bare with Me Hydrating Jelly Primer – Exciting jelly formula, reduces pores and hydrates, but can be tricky to apply.
- Bare with Me Hemp Radiant Perfecting Primer – Short-lived but conceals pores and imperfections effectively.
- Bare with Me Hemp SPF 30 Daily Moisturizer Primer – Boasts SPF, super hydrating, best for dry skin.
- Hydra Touch Primer – Affordable and suitable for all skin types, yet not ultra-long-lasting.
- Hydra Touch Oil Primer – Delivers a dewy finish, perfect for super dry skin; avoid if your skin leans normal to oily.
- Honey Dew Me Up Primer – Beautiful design, but not the best primer choice.
- Pore Filler – Conceals pores, but has a dry texture and challenging bottle application.
- Studio Perfect Primer – Creative use of bright colors but execution falls short.
- Angel Veil – Skin Perfecting Primer – Leaves a grey tint, not angelic; steer clear.
- Shine Killer – Suitable for combination skin; beware, it can stimulate oiliness in oily skin.
- Total Control Drop Primer – Among the pricier options, offers lightweight, matte finish.
- Pigment Primer – Basic but helpful for prepping eyeshadow, budget-friendly and discreet packaging.
NYX: A Brief Introduction
NYX Professional Makeup, a brand originating from Los Angeles in 1999, has become a powerhouse in the cosmetics industry. Known for its jumbo eye pencils and eyeliners, this 90s makeup brand gained fame. NYX prides itself on being cruelty-free and budget-friendly, catering to aspiring makeup artists.
Decoding the Power of Primers
Makeup primers come in various forms: gels, creams, liquids, and oils. Their role involves enhancing your makeup look and creating a smoother canvas. Typically applied before any makeup, primers can extend wear time (up to 24 hours!), minimize pores, and blur imperfections. By providing a polished foundation base, primers elevate your makeup application.
Exploring NYX’s Primer Collection
Fear not, for NYX’s extensive primer collection has something for everyone. Let’s dive into their 17 distinct primers, ranging from gels to liquids and oils, to uncover the perfect match for you.
1. 1st Base Blurring Primer
A fresh addition tied to the hit Netflix show Sex Education.
- Charming packaging.
- Impressive 12-hour longevity.
- Minimizes pores.
- Slightly clumpy texture.
- Not recommended for oily skin.
Packaging: 10/10 – Vibrant packaging in collaboration with Sex Education. Longevity: 8/10 – Up to 12 hours of wear is commendable. Application: 5/10 – User-friendly bottle, but texture might feel unfamiliar. Formula & Effect: 10/10 – Vegan formula that effectively reduces pores.
The NYX Primer Line Guide aims to simplify your primer selection process. Each primer has its merits, so consider your skin type and preferences to find your ideal match from this exciting range.
2. 1st Base Primer Spray
For those bustling moments when time is of the essence, the 1st Base Primer Spray proves to be your ultimate ally.
- Quick and effortless spray application.
- Remarkable 12-hour longevity.
- Universally effective for all skin types.
- Unimpressive packaging lacking uniqueness.
- Absence of fragrance.
Packaging: 2/10 – Falls short in aesthetics with generic spray packaging. Longevity: 8/10 – Boasts 12-hour endurance, although some primers offer extended wear. Application: 10/10 – A convenient spray format, perfect for rushed routines. Formula & Effect: Vegan formula catering to all skin types.
3. The Marshmallow Smoothing Primer
A widely acclaimed gem among NYX’s primer offerings, the Marshmallow Smoothing Primer, has garnered praise from beauty enthusiasts. This primer claims to offer ten transformative makeup benefits:
- Extends makeup wear for 16 hours.
- Evens skin tone.
- Minimizes texture.
- Blurs lines.
- Provides a soft-focus finish.
- Maintains makeup freshness.
- Delightful marshmallow scent.
- Impressive ’10-in-1′ makeup benefits.
- Stands strong for up to 16 hours.
- Unsuitable for dry skin due to its moisturizing elements.
- Positioned at the higher price range of NYX primers.
Packaging: 6/10 – Adorns a cute baby pink ‘pump’ bottle; a missed opportunity for marshmallow-themed design. Longevity: 10/10 – Flaunts exceptional 16-hour wear, ideal for daytime activities. Application: 10/10 – Convenient ‘pump’ dispenser ensures easy access to the product, featuring a soft whipped texture for smooth application. Formula & Effect: 10/10 – Applaudable formula enriched with marshmallow “root,” delivering versatile benefits and impressing enthusiasts.
4. Bright Maker Primer
Enriched with papaya extract, the Bright Maker Primer emerges as a peach-tinted solution that promises to illuminate your skin throughout the day.
- Boasts 17-hour longevity.
- Renders skin luminous.
- Guards against excess oil.
- Pricier considering its offerings.
- Uninspiring design.
Packaging: 2/10 – The peach-colored bottle resonates with the papaya extract inspiration, yet design-wise, it leaves much to be desired. Longevity: 10/10 – Impressive 17-hour durability, catering to extended day wear. Application: 10/10 – Functional screw-top packaging ensures effortless application. Formula & Effect: 8/10 – A rich formula imparting smoothness and brightness, particularly suitable for oily skin.
5. High Glass Face Primer
Belonging to the “High Glass” collection, the High Glass Face Primer offers three distinct shades (Rose Quartz, Moonbeam, and Sandy Glow) to cater to various preferences.
- Presents a choice of three different shades.
- Affordable pricing.
- Unsuitable for oily skin.
- Limited staying power.
Packaging: 6/10 – Embraces NYX’s classic black and white branding with a pop of color highlighting the primer shade. Longevity: 4/10 – Falls short in endurance, leading to makeup deterioration within 5 to 6 hours. Application: 10/10 – Utilizes NYX’s reliable screw-top bottle design. Formula & Effect: 4/10 – Fails to distinguish itself, though the shade variety is inclusive; weak staying power contributes to a shiny finish.
Stay tuned for the continuation of this NYX Primer Line Guide, where we’ll delve further into the world of NYX primers to help you discover your perfect match!
Certainly, here’s a condensed overview of the next three NYX primers you’ve provided:
7. Bare with Me Hemp Radiant Perfecting Primer
Infused with hemp-derived cannabis Sativa seed oil, this primer boasts a lightweight and hydrating texture.
- 24 hours of hydration.
- Smoothens skin and blurs imperfections.
- Weak longevity.
- Plain design.
Packaging: 2/10 – The light pink bottle, though consistent with the ‘Bare with Me’ range, lacks distinctive hemp-themed design elements. Longevity: 2/10 – Unfortunately, this primer’s durability is limited, lasting only up to 5 hours and revealing cracks in makeup. Application: 10/10 – The trusted screw-top bottle design ensures easy application. Formula & Effect: 5/10 – Although effective in smoothing and blurring, its longevity is not substantial. Recommended for shorter social events.
8. Bare with Me Hemp SPF 30 Daily Moisturiser Primer
The final addition to the ‘Bare with Me’ collection, this primer integrates SPF 30 for sun protection, particularly well-suited for dry skin.
- Offers SPF 30 protection.
- Provides hydration.
- Features a pump applicator.
- Beneficial for dry skin.
- Texture tends to be greasy.
- Basic design.
Packaging: 3/10 – The pump applicator is a practical inclusion, but the design could benefit from added flair. Longevity: 8/10 – Delivers lasting coverage aided by SPF protection. Application: 10/10 – The pump applicator’s convenience and non-spill attributes enhance usability. Formula & Effect: 8/10 – Leveraging hemp-derived cannabis Sativa seed oil and SPF 30, the primer’s greasy texture might deter some, though it’s well-suited for dry skin.
Of course, here’s a summarized version of the remaining NYX primers you’ve provided:
9. Hydra Touch Primer
The first of the ‘Hydra’ primers, this lightweight primer is infused with Centella extract, creating a smooth base for makeup application.
- Smoothing primer.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Doesn’t conceal imperfections.
- Plain design.
Packaging: 3/10 – The bright baby blue bottle is appealing, but the overall design lacks uniqueness. Longevity: 5/10 – Comparable to other affordable primers in the market. Application: 10/10 – The lightweight cream’s easy application provides a smooth face. Formula & Effect: 7/10 – While it’s excellent for various skin types and offers a smooth canvas, it doesn’t hide imperfections.
10. Hydra Touch Oil Primer
NYX’s first oil primer, containing jojoba and rice oil for a dewy finish, particularly suitable for very dry skin.
- Ideal for very dry skin.
- Smoothens the skin.
- Professional packaging.
- Not suitable for oily skin.
- Application can be tricky.
Packaging: 8/10 – The see-through bottle with a clear view of the oil and applicator gives it a professional look. Longevity: 5/10 – Average longevity without standout performance. Application: 4/10 – The small applicator in the bottle can make application challenging. Formula & Effect: 4/10 – Suited for very dry skin, but less suitable for other skin types.
11. Honey Dew Me Up Primer
This fluorescent gold primer promises a luminous look but comes with a few drawbacks.
- Glittery and glamorous bottle.
- Reduces redness.
- Sticky formula.
- Tricky application.
Packaging: 10/10 – The gold design and glitter make this primer visually appealing. Longevity: 2/10 – Offers a glowing finish but lacks durability. Application: 3/10 – While visually attractive, the applicator is challenging to use. Formula & Effect: 5/10 – Despite being sticky and serum-like, it imparts a bright glow to your makeup look. Slightly higher cost (£15.00 Boots).
12. Pore Filler
A primer focused on minimizing pores with an oil-free formula.
- Reduces pores.
- Oil-free formula.
- Dry texture.
- Application difficulty.
Packaging: 5/10 – Standard NYX design with black and white branding. Longevity: 5/10 – Averages in longevity while effectively hiding pores. Application: 3/10 – The dry texture can be challenging to dispense from the bottle. Formula & Effect: 6/10 – Effectively conceals pores but application could be improved.
13. Studio Perfect Primer
NYX’s multi-colored primer comes in clear, lavender, and green shades, each serving a distinct purpose.
- Three shades to choose from.
- Smoothens skin.
- Limited reduction of redness.
- Oily texture.
Packaging: 6/10 – The use of black and vivid shades adds vibrancy. Longevity: 4/10 – Longevity isn’t a strong point. Application: 10/10 – Simple application by putting a small amount in your hand. Formula & Effect: 6/10 – The concept is inventive, but the green shade’s inability to reduce redness and its oily texture are downsides.
14. Angel Veil – Skin Perfecting Primer
This super silky primer minimizes shine and smoothens skin.
- Smoothens skin.
- Minimizes shine.
- May leave a grey tint.
- Unsuitable for oily skin.
Packaging: 7/10 – The white bottle with pink lid stands out, though it lacks a halo as expected. Longevity: 7/10 – Offers long-lasting coverage for extended wear. Application: 10/10 – Classic and user-friendly screw-top lid. Formula & Effect: 4/10 – The unfortunate grey tint and unsuitability for oily skin detract from its potential.
15. Shine Killer
This dramatic primer aims to control shine and matte the skin.
- Suitable for combination skin.
- Blends well into makeup.
- Could exacerbate oiliness for oily skin.
- Weak longevity.
Packaging: 5/10 – Basic design in classic black and white NYX branding. Longevity: 2/10 – Limited durability, with makeup cracking within hours. Application: 10/10 – Easy-to-use screw-top bottle. Formula & Effect: 4/10 – Not recommended for oily skin due to oil-promoting formula. Better NYX primers are available.
16. Total Control Drop Primer
This lightweight primer provides a velvet matte finish in a unique bottle with a pipette.
- Matte finish.
- Liquid formula.
- Most expensive NYX primer.
Packaging: 8/10 – Distinctive baby pink bottle with a pipette. Longevity: 10/10 – Offers full-day coverage. Application: 9/10 – The pipette facilitates easy and controlled application. Formula & Effect: 10/10 – A splurge-worthy primer with a lightweight and matte finish.
17. Pigment Primer
The final NYX primer, designed for prepping the eyes for heavy eyeshadow.
- Compact packaging.
- Keeps eyeshadow in place.
- Only for eye use.
- Sticky formula.
Packaging: 7/10 – Compact design suitable for on-the-go. Longevity: 9/10 – Effectively maintains eyeshadow throughout the day. Application: 10/10 – The small tube bottle enables easy application to the eyelid. Formula & Effect: 6/10 – Great for eyeshadow, though limitations in versatility and the sticky formula are drawbacks.